A good night’s sleep is important for the proper functioning of your body. Sleep requirements can vary from person to person. But on average, an adult should sleep for 7 to 9 hours a day. If you are not sleeping properly then you can face serious health issues like anxiety, depression, and other physical illnesses.
Sleep causes your mind and body to be at rest for a while. This has a positive impact on your mental and physical health. A good night’s sleep improves your performance, cognitive abilities, and enhance your creativity. Sleeping well can also reduce the risk of heart diseases, stroke, and diabetes to a great extent.
Some common causes of insomnia are:
- Anxiety, depression, stress, bipolar disorder, trauma, and anger issues.
- Having some medical problem like asthma, allergies, kidney diseases, cancer, Parkinson’s disease etc.
- The side effect of various medications.
- Insomnia can be a symptom of other sleep disorders like sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, and circadian rhythm disturbances.
While there are sleeping pills which doctors prescribe to treat insomnia. But sleeping pills have worst side effects and they cause harm to your mind and body.
Let’s look at some amazing sleep aids to cure insomnia. Folks have been using these ways for many centuries. They are reliable and have no side effects. So, one can give them a try before going for sleeping pills.
Natural sleep supplements:
There are some sleep supplements derived naturally. You can take these supplements in the form of pills, powder mixed in food or have them as such. These supplements are good for use and have no side effect if used for a short period of time.
- Melatonin supplements: Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the sleep cycle. It is produced in a greater amount at night and its quantity is less in the morning. So, if you have trouble sleeping, you can take a melatonin supplement. It will help you relax and sleep well.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a mineral that relaxes your mind and body. It helps your mind to get quiet and this will help you sleep. Magnesium can be taken along with zinc to enhance sleep, studies have shown.
- Glycine: It is an amino acid that can be taken as a supplement to cure insomnia. It has functions in the nervous system. Though its function in helping you sleep is not clear but it is suggested that as it lowers the body temperature, so it can help you sleep well.
- Gingko Biloba: It is a herb and it can be used as a supplement to treat insomnia. It is suggested to take a capsule of Gingko Biloba before going to bed can reduce stress and help you keep relax.
- Tryptophan: it is an amino acid which can make you sleep faster and well.
Lavender is a plant found all over the world. It has fragrant, purple flowers can be dried and its smell can improve your sleep. This aromatherapy for curing sleeplessness is safe altogether and hence can be tried. Lavender fragrance is safe but if taken orally then it can cause stomach cramps and other side effects.
Valerian is a herb found in Asia and Europe. Its root can be used to enhance your sleep. Valerian is also a natural treatment for depression and anxiety and thus keeps you relax. This feeling of relaxation can help you sleep well. You can take valerian root in your food or as a supplement before going to bed.
Sleep hygiene is an important factor to cure insomnia. It is important to have a proper bedtime routine and sleep time. You have to sleep and wake at the same time for seven days to be consistent. Other than that, you should switch off your Wi-Fi to avoid distractions. Only use your bed for sleeping purpose. Do not use your laptop, mobile phone, or watch T.V on the bed because it will distract you from sleeping.
Make your bed as comfortable as possible, clean your sleeping area and make it relaxing for you. Do not paint your bedroom walls with bright colors, instead paint them with soothing colors.
If you are suffering from chronic insomnia and have tried natural remedies but they did not work then go for Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for insomnia (CBT-I).
Cognitive therapy is a gold treatment to recover from insomnia. Your psychologist will teach you different methods to keep yourself relax and lower your stress and anxiety levels. Deep breathing is a common practice amongst them. You will also be taught sleep restriction and not going to bed until you are sleepy.
Studies have shown that only one session cures insomnia up to 90% even in chronic cases.
Fuel yourself for a goodnight’s sleep:
It is advised that you should take a meal that helps you sleep well. You can have whole wheat bread, warm milk, almonds, and cherries. These foods enhance sleeping. But do not eat anything just before going to bed. The digestive problems will keep you up.
Exercise at the right time of the day:
Do some yoga and meditation before going to bed. Practice strenuous exercises in the day time so that you get tired till evening. Do not do strength training just before bed.
Insomnia can cause many physical and mental health problems. It is important to sleep well daily in order to perform well. Insomnia can be due to many different problems or might be a symptom of other sleep disorders. Before taking sleeping pills, try natural remedies to cure insomnia. This will keep you away from the side effects of sleeping pills.